Friday, February 15, 2013

17 weeks

This was such an amazing week! So many exciting things happened (besides Valentine's Day!) --

Monday I went to my 16 week appointment.  Same old routine:  Check in, sit down, pick up a magazine, get called to go back by the nicest nurses :) Step on the scale, sit down, take blood pressure, get sent to the bathroom, pee in a cup, bring it back to the nurse, walk back to your examining room, and wait for the doctor.  I was excited because I had a whole list of questions and things I wanted to talk to the doctor about when he got there.  All that was forgotten when he was listening to the baby's heartbeat.  He said the strange noise that was coming from the doppler was the baby kicking him! I about fell off the examining table from excitement.  It made the pregnancy seem even more real and made me even more anxious to start feeling those little kicks. 

After composing myself, I did get to ask my questions and then was sent on my way for more blood work.  Not before I was able to set up my mid-pregnancy ultrasound... yay!  Me and hubby can't wait for that next appointment!  This time when they took blood, they did a Quad Screen, which tests for birth defects such as neural tube defects, Down Syndrome, and trisomy 18.  So far, so good!  Tests came back negative, so I was one happy camper.

On Wednesday, just two days after my doctor's appointment, I felt the baby move for the very first time! It felt like someone flicked my abdomen from the inside! Forget feeling like butterflies are in your stomach, I got full out roundhouse kicked!  It was amazing, and it definitely made this Valentine's Day that much sweeter. At night, I have been trying to sit very quietly to see if I can feel anymore movements.  I have only felt one more, but it was so endearing just the same.  Also, just hours later, my Valentine's Day present arrived early on my doorstep making me an emotional mess after reading the simple but sweet card.

Thursday, my sister and I made it over to my parents' house for our annual scavenger hunt.  My mom is so creative and witty! Plus, we got some great loot :)

On to the baby:  At 17 weeks, Baby I is the size of a turnip! Roughly 5 inches long now, baby's cartilage is now hardening to form bones! Baby I is even beginning to form sweat glands, and the umbilical cord is getting stronger and thicker.  Bring on the baby bump!





Symptoms:  Still weird dreams, but the morning sickness is basically gone! Can feel my belly starting to round out a little bit more too. It will be nice to finally look pregnant instead of just chubby

Weight Gain:  Up almost 5 lbs. total

Cravings:  Chex Mix and other salty foods.  Lately, my breakfast in the mornings has been Oatmeal Square cereal with a diced nectarine.... mmmm! 

Exciting happenings:  Felt the baby move! Running in the Sand Mine Challenge next Saturday.  Also, I signed Andy and myself up for classes in May! We will be taking a 6 week course covering labor and delivery, newborn and childcare, and nursing.  Andy asked, "Do I have to go to the breastfeeding class?" LOL 

Gender Prediction:  Girl

Clothing:  I can still fit in all but one of my pairs of jeans.  That pair, I use the Bella Band and rubberband technique.  I did buy some cute tops this week for spring time :)



No comments:

Post a Comment